The Fishermen’s Bastion, known as the Halaszbastya in the Hungarian language, is located on the Castle hill in Budapest, not too far from Matthias Church.
This panoramic view overlooking the Danube and Pest bank was built between 1895 and 1902 in Neo-Gothic and and Neo-Romantic style. It is characterized by seven decorative towers representing the seven Hungarian tribes that conquered the land of Hungary.
Behind the Bastion – which was never used for defensive purposes – there is the equestrian statue of Saint Steven, who was the first king of Hungary. This monument, which is by far one of the most visited monuments in Budapest, was erected to celebrate the millennial history of Hungary.
The construction of the Fishermen’s Bastion combines with the restoration of Matthias Church; both projects have been designed by architect Frigyes Schulek and the panoramic location of this T-shaped terrace embraces the view of the church.
The stairs leading to the Bastion feature the copy of ancient and historic statues, adding a scenographic touch to the castle entrance.
City Card allow you to save on public transport and / or on the entrances to the main tourist attractions.